[Easy Japanese - Beginner's Guide #3] Essential "Reporting Lateness and Feeling Unwell" for Foreign Workers in Japan
Sometimes you might wake up feeling sick, or your train might be delayed, forcing you to be late or absent from work. In Japanese workplaces, knowing how and when to contact your boss is just as important as the work itself.
Don't worry—you don't need difficult keigo. Just follow these simple rules and phrases!
1. The Golden Rule: Contact BEFORE Your Shift Starts
In Japan, if you are going to be late or absent, the most critical rule is to contact your workplace before your shift begins.
すぐに連絡する (Contact immediately): Even if you are only 10 minutes late, never just "show up late without saying anything."
電話がいちばん安心 (Phone calls are best): For sudden lateness or absence, sending a text or email is often too late or not checked in time. Call your manager directly.
💡 Tip: Japanese bosses get most frustrated when workers don't contact them. Even if your Japanese is not perfect, calling to say "I am sick" is much better than staying silent.
2. Useful Phrases for Lateness (Osoku naru toki)
If your train is delayed or you missed your bus, use these simple phrases to explain the situation.
「電車(でんしゃ)が止(と)まりました。」 (Densha ga tomarimashita.) – The train has stopped.
「〇〇分(ぷん)くらい遅(おく)れます。」 ( [XX] pun kurai okuremasu.) – I will be about [XX] minutes late.
「〇時(じ)ごろに到着(とうちゃく)します。」 ( [XX] ji goro ni tochaku shimasu.) – I will arrive around [XX] o'clock.
💡 Tip: When you arrive at work later, always say 「お待たせして、すみません」 (Omatase shite, sumimasen / I am sorry for making you wait) or 「遅れて、すみません」 (Okurete, sumimasen / I am sorry for being late) first.
3. Useful Phrases for Sudden Sickness (Taicho ga warui toki)
If you wake up with a fever or feel too sick to work, use these simple words.
「体調(たいちょう)が悪(わる)いです。」 (Taicho ga warui desu.) – I feel unwell. / I am sick.
「熱(ねつ)があります。」 (Netsu ga arimasu.) – I have a fever.
「今日(きょう)、休(やす)ませてください。」 (Kyo, yamasete kudasai.) – Please let me take today off.
💡 Tip: If you have a fever, many workplaces in Japan will ask you to stay home to prevent spreading illness. Do not force yourself to go to work if you are contagious.
Summary: Communication Protects Your Job
Being late or getting sick happens to everyone. The secret to keeping a good relationship with your boss is honesty and quick communication.
"Xana Lab" is always cheering for your safe and comfortable work life in Japan. Take care of yourself!
コメント
コメントを投稿